Monday, December 5, 2011

Thanksgiving anticipation.

for the delay in posting. The last few weeks have been hectic.


One word that describes my teaching experience for this week is anticipation. Everyone is anticipating Thanksgiving break. They kids are hyper and ready for the break and the teachers seem to be hitting a wall. I’ve heard more than one teacher say we just have to get to Thanksgiving break. Once we get there everyone will be rejuvenated.

I learned a lot about integrating technology into teaching this week. My department started this program called key train this week. Its only incorporated into the U.S. History courses but it uses technology to get the kids ready for the ACT’s. We also use technology a lot to make teaching history to different types of learners. We use different things from webquests to videos and interactive games to teach our kids history. We use technology in our classrooms everyday for teaching history through PowerPoint’s, videos and projecting images that we would have otherwise had to make 30+ copies of before things like ELMO’s.

I have planned the use of WebQuests in my lessons, and research online for my students. I’ve used interactive games that are solely based out of technology with my students to help them review for tests. I’ve taught them and showed my students helpful resources that allow them do things like cite papers correctly. I use technology almost every day in my classes. I will continue to do these things but also learn as much as I can about the other technology that is out there that I could potentially use in my classroom.

As for my goals:

  1. Treating every class like it’s a new and wonderful class, works unless the class before gave me a really hard time. I’ve found that stopping and praying and taking sometime in the five minutes I have between classes helps me reprepare myself for the next class.
  2. I did plan two lessons this week where I needed my co-operating teacher to help me co-teach. I think he feels a bit uncomfortable helping me co-teach because I planned these lessons. He acted more like my aide then a co-teacher. I think next time I will try to include him in the planning. If he has time to be included in that process.
  3. I did talk to my cooperating teacher about improving my assessments and we also had a team meeting about improving our assessments. I found that making sure each objective we are given to teach should be tested equally. I also found out that the test review has to be written carefully so as not to contaminated the validity of the test.
  4. Healthy eating is going well. I found that with a student teaching schedule I have more of a schedule for eating which makes it easier to eat healthy.
  5. I need to find more time to just spend with God. I think that will help keep me grounded in him.
  6. Its been nice focusing on the positive students but I still find the students who are struggling take up more of my time. I’ve been making a point to talk to my positive students and asking them how their day has been going. I do this with my students who need more help too but I just want to make sure I’m connecting with my students who are doing well.
  7. My new goal this week is to plan a lesson that has the students using technology to learn.
  8. My second goal this week is to learn more about the technology available to us at the school I’m student teaching at. 

Please pray that I continue to get better student teaching and that the upcoming Thanksgiving break rejuvenates me.
~Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment